From Script to Screen: Reflective Statement

This project was mostly about building a story from scratch with three keywords that are unlikely to be relatable. Before this project, I wrote ideas for 3D animations in a very rough way without any forms or standards. Writing a script in a standard way which was the very first step of this project was quite nourishing experience and training for a film/animation producer.


In terms of building a story, I found it quite difficult to relate 3 prompts that have no connection generally. Another challenge was putting everything in a 2-minute length. Due to this short length of the animation, it was difficult to balance the 3 acts of the story.


When it comes to production, 2D digital art was the most challenging for me as always since I feel more comfortable working in a 3D environment. I found it quite frustrating when I want to change something or made mistakes and I have to draw over again. Apart from the technical problems, making a character design that fits the actual characteristic and memorable seems pretty difficult, especially when the character is in a human form. Despite the help from Justin's lessons, I still end up with a character that is far away from being unique or stylistic.


Lastly, the 3D pre-visualization process is what I was most confident and passionate about since I have many experiences in 3D especially in Maya therefore I found the task was quite easy. One of the challenges was lighting in the scene with candelabra. The real-time viewport renderer seemed to be quite glitch as well as lacks features unlike Arnold renderer, so I struggled to draw the scene similar to what I imagined.


Overall, this project helped me a lot in getting ideas about writing a story and transferring the script to the actual production as well as techniques in scene composition.

Comments